Frozen Piano

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Wed, 24 Apr 1996 18:28:12 -0400 (EDT)

This is only a casual observation by a technician unfamiliar with the
Canadian legal system, but this really seems to be much ado about nothing.
The last Rydner piano was built in 1929. You can find the exact year of
production by checking the serial # against those of the Williams Piano
Co. out of Oshawa as they built the piano. How much was an old upright built
3/4 of a century ago by an unremarkable, long-gone Canadian manufacturer
worth BEFORE it was exposed to the cold waether? A cuople of hundred dollars?
Perhaps a bit more? How are you going to establish the condition of the piano
prior to being exposed to the cold? It could have been tuned to A-440 two
years earlier and gone out of tune the next day! Are you going to call in the
previous technician to testify too? Are you and he going to get PAID for your
time and your technical expertise? If so, it's probably going to cost more
to take this to court than the piano was worth in the first place. And if you
doing this for free, without charge to the customer, it's probably a gross
waste of your time and skills, which could certainly be better utilized ser-
vicing something worthwhile. More than three decades of doing this work
has taught me that every time I try to give a customer a break and do some-
thing I think is in their best interest, the effort is unappreciated and I
wind up with the short end of the stick. So if you're going to persue this
matter, make sure that you are paid well for your time. Just one tech's
opinion, of course!

Les Smith
lessmith@buffnet.net

On Wed, 24 Apr 1996, Don Rose wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I should learn to be more specific. I will probably be called to represent the owner of the
piano. The action  parts are literally falling to pieces. The piano is old old old but
apparently was serviceable two years ago in Edmonton. I would like to see
th