Frozen Piano

Mark Graham magraham@baldwinw.edu
Wed, 24 Apr 1996 19:29:15 -0400 (EDT)

A customer of mine has a Steinway M that I service regularly. They went
away in December and had a housesitter. The house froze (but not the
housesitter, which is the only truly interesting part. Where was she?).
Anyway, besides lots of dead houseplants, suddenly the piano had pins
that were untunable, and markedly looser pins throughout. The house
wasn't frozen long enough to cause plumbing problems, and yet suddenly
the pinblock on the piano isn't doing its job. So it can happen. In this
case, I replaced 6 pins with a larger size and am waiting to see how
permanent this condition is. Mark Graham

On Wed, 24 Apr 1996, Don Rose wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Another frozen piano. A large Krydner Upright (old). Tuned in Edmonton to A440 by a reputable
tuner. Moved 2 years later to Regina at 25 below zero left overnight and moved into the house.
Tuning pins at 20 in/lbs. pitch at -42 cents. (A 429.5).