Frozen Pianos -Reply

Richard Adkins RADKINS@coe.edu
Thu, 25 Apr 1996 08:18:17 -0500

The problem with the pianos is probably humidity related.....here in
Iowa i have two customers who's grand pinblocks suddendly went
out ...or atleast it appears so this spring....they were alright last fall
but we had such a severe winter...w/ record low temps (-26F)...etc...
lots of blasts of canadian and artic air here....i think it was much
drier than usual for a winter...people who did not add humidity to their
homes as in these cases, are paying for it now....these pianos i'm
talking about are 50+ years old....pin blocks were "OK"....but maybe
just to the point where neglect would push them over the edge....imagine
the look on their faces when i told them how much it was going to
cost them to replace it!!!! It seems to me that this canadian upright problem
is from lack of humidity and not being in a garage overnight....

Rich A.
Coe College Music Dept.