Swing Test

stanwood stanwood@tiac.net
Thu, 25 Apr 1996 10:19:05 -0400

>With teflon I use six swings (Bill Garlick) and seven swings (my tolerance).  I
>do not use S&S's pins because I found that the duration of the pinning is about
>the same.  On heavy use pianos I found I had to repin every second year anyway
>and my regular pins seemed to have a slightly longer life.

According to the Steinway manual the hammershank flange for teflon should
measure
3 - 6 grams.  I just happened to have a teflon action on the bench and I
took off
note #64.  It measured four swings and the flange measured 3 grams to the guage.
At 6-7 swings the flange would be considerably looser than 3 grams.

This would support the view that 6-7 swings indicates a very free flange.

David Stanwood