Opinions of Working For Dealers

Bill Spurlock, RPT 74077.3053@CompuServe.COM
Thu, 25 Apr 1996 22:35:40 -0400 (EDT)

Arnold,

Fern Henry and I have done work for the same dealer for about 19 years. From
what we hear from other technicians, our relationship to our dealer may be
somewhat atypical in that we set the price and pretty much determine what work
needs to be done. At the same time, we are conscious of his economic needs and
have developed efficient methods of service that allow us to satisfy the needs
of the instrument without pricing our services beyond his means.

The dealer is a local, family-owned full line music store that is looking to
survive in the long haul by establishing long term ralationships in the
community. Thus he is service-minded and never questions anything we do in the
way of follow-up service. In fact, we often feel he provides too much "warranty"
service,  for example covering the cost of a sticking keys two years after the
sale, even if the client has not had their piano serviced regularly. His reward
has been a reputation as a reliable, community based provider of musical
support. It's no accident that three high-pressure mall piano stores have come
and gone while he has survived.

As you have experienced, most purchasers do not service their pianos as often as
they should, but that's the same situation with any client. We discount our
service fees to the dealer. However, in terms of actual hourly income there is
little disadvantage for us. New pianos are already clean, their problems very
predictable, and the work very pleasant. "Floor" work is done early mornings
with no screaming kids and no need to explain things to a client. Since we do a
fairly thorough prep in the store and leave new pianos sharp, after-sale home
service often requires only a 45 minute breeze through the tuning (it's amazing
how much faster it is to tune a piano that already has "your" tuning pattern on
it) and attention to minor adjustments.

Another advantage we find with store work is that it gives us the opportunity to
keep abreast of new piano models, industry trends, and build productive
relationships with industry presonnel. We have sometimes taken time to offer
feedback to manufacturers on design/manufacturing problems, and have seen the
results a few months later in modified designs.

Of course, all is not perfect. The store movers damage the merchandise all too
frequently, and we have to be available for last minute service to clinch a
sale. But all in all, we have had a mutually beneficial relationship with a
dealer who is committed to satisfied customers. From his perspective, he long
ago stated that he would probably stop carrying pianos if we left him. Which
brings up one of my soapbox items: namely, that some technicians seem too
sanctimonious for their -- and the industry's -- good. The piano is the
fundamental instrument. Music in the home is good. New pianos come from
dealerships. As technicians, we can assist this process or be an obstacle to it.

Susan Graham wrote an excellent article on technician/dealer relationships. It
was republished in the Feb. '94 Journal, pg. 42. Check it out.

Bill Spurlock