Steinway question

Charles Ball ckball@mail.utexas.edu
Sat, 27 Apr 1996 08:46:15 -0500

At 06:44 AM 4/27/96 -0600, you wrote:
>     What direction should the black line on the balance rail of
>accelerated actions be facing? And, what is different about the front vs.
>back?
>
>John Minor
>Piano Technician
>University of Illinois
>jminor@uiuc.edu

Greetings John,

Do you refer to the line on the balance rail bearings, Steinway's New York
1930's replacement of the balance rail punching? If so, it should face
forward, toward the player. The balance rail pins angle back a few degrees,
as does the bore of the bearings.

One of my problems with student help at our Music School over the years has
been their getting these turned around during routine cleaning--this makes
for very irregular key leveling, and a lack of stability for the key at its
fulcrum point.

Regards,

Charles

Charles Ball