frozen goodies

Glenn Grafton gleng@fast.net
Sat, 27 Apr 1996 11:07 -0400 (EDT)

>The biggest problem for pianos in the Caribbean is carpenter ants,
>known in Cuba as comegen.  PTG member Tom Lloyd visited my piano
>project there, and he suggests freezing infested pianos overnight in a
>walk-in freezer.  Having read the recent string on frozen pianos I
>imagine the only side-effect will be comegen icecream.  Maybe we should
>try it on something small, like a harmonica, before going on to guitars
>and pianos.  What thinks the list?
>Benjamin Treuhaft
>Send a Piana to Havana
>Berkeley, Calif.

I used to live in S. Florida and it was a common sight to see an entire
building sealed in tarps for fumigating. There was also a show on "This Old
House" where they were re-habing a house in Florida. They also sealed the
entire house and "gassed" the place. I don't know what gas they used but it
was supposed to be rather effective on the bugs but safe for the residents
afterwards.

I would think that this would be more effective than freezing the piano. I
used to chop a lot of firewood and it was common to see carpenter ants wake
up in the spring and come crawling out of the piano when the weather got
warm, totally unaffected by the 3 month winter freeze.

Glenn Grafton
Grafton Piano & Organ Co.
Souderton PA