Europe vs. USA

PSIWKO@aol.com PSIWKO@aol.com
Sun, 28 Apr 1996 01:51:04 -0400

On 4.27.96 Ken Hale wrote:

"I have talked to a few technicians about Europe and understand piano stores
there are different. They talk of musical and tone quality and playability,
not so much about my glue is better than your glue. I wonder if there are
some technicians from Europe or other countries, on Piano Tech that would be
able to comment on this or am I just dreaming."

Hi Ken,

No, you are not dreaming!  This is absolutely true what you have said!  I am
originally from Europe and currently living in the US. My primary work as a
piano technician is associated with the school of music at Indiana
University. After being in this field for several years I have to admit that
the entire approach of the majority of piano technicians here in the States
is drastically different. It seems like more technicians are more interested
in "their glue" then in the highest quality of the sound of the instruments
they are working on. Of course everybody has to take under consideration the
technical aspect of the piano, but the final goal should be the sound that is
generally accepted as a "standard-concert/stage-sound" of the piano.

Based on my encounters with other piano technicians in the US I have to say
(sorry!) that there are not many of those that can discuss different aspects
of the piano sound with an artist (concert pianist) before his/her
performance. On the one hand it would be extremely desirable for every piano
technician to go through a formal musical training (taking some classes in
the school of music - piano lessons) and acquire a minimum knowledge about
the nature of the piano sound from the performer point of view. On the other
hand we cannot do and learn everything in our lives. Fortunately I am in such
position that before I've got interested in piano technology I was able to
acquire concert/pianist skills (in Europe and US), therefore sometimes during
doscussions with my piano tech friends I feel like I am talking a different
language.

Generally speaking Europe is more concerned about aesthetic aspects of the
piano sound and not just what is right and what is wrong in terms of the
regulation of the action. And further, some piano technicians have their
"own" sense of beauty of the sound and they would voice pianos in that one
direction.  In my opinion it is a true Art (and possibly the ultimate
challenge) for any piano technician to notice and "bring out" the best sound
out of the best sond that particular instrument is capable of.

By the way, would you be able to recommend to me any book or valuable
articles that were written by the American authors about different viocing
procedures?

Thanks,

Paul  Siwko-Bajon