Re Powdered Graphite

Kenneth Sloane Kenneth_Sloane@qmgate.cc.oberlin.edu
Mon, 29 Apr 1996 12:42:35 -0400

                      Subject:                              Time:  11:58 AM
  OFFICE MEMO         Re Powdered Graphite                  Date:  4/29/96

To Keith et al: I ordered a 16 0z. can of powdered graphite years ago from one
of the supply houses. I can't remember which one. The can will last me quite a
few more years.

I believe powdered graphite is also readily available from industrial supply
houses. Just make sure it is in a micro-fine powder form like the powdered
teflon we get. If you use a small amount and really rub it in, the stuff I
have hardly darkens the knuckle at all. It really is an effective lubricant,
though, and does not gum up the knuckle.

I think graphite has received such bad press for two reasons. It is messy and
should not be used for bearing areas like the keybed to keyframe where the
graphite can easily get on our hands and find its way to other things like
keytops (once impregnated in a keytop, forget about getting it out). I find
that McLube (clear) is the absolute best keyframe/keybed lube. Also, the old
piano makers used a paste lubricant made from mutton tallow (lamb fat) and
powdered graphite. It worked fine in enclosed areas like pedal pivots where it
could not easily attract dirt and grime or dry out, but technicians,
unfortunately, used the stuff for quick cures where new bearing material or
reorientation of parts was necessary. I'm sure we have all encountered this
pesky lubricant in "open" areas where it should not have been used at all. In
addition to attracting dirt and grime when exposed to the air, it will harden
somewhat and help to contribute to some pretty loud squeaks and groans.

Ken Sloane, Oberlin Conservatory