Europe vs. USA

Barbara E. Richmond brichmon@e-tex.com
Mon, 29 Apr 1996 11:02 -0500 (CDT)

At 11:52 PM 4/27/96 -0600, you wrote:
>On 4.27.96 Ken Hale wrote:
>
>"I have talked to a few technicians about Europe and understand piano stores
>there are different. They talk of musical and tone quality and playability,
>not so much about my glue is better than your glue. I wonder if there are
>some technicians from Europe or other countries, on Piano Tech that would be
>able to comment on this or am I just dreaming."
>
>Hi Ken,

snip

>  In my opinion it is a true Art (and possibly the ultimate
>challenge) for any piano technician to notice and "bring out" the best sound
>that particular instrument is capable of.

YES!!!

>By the way, would you be able to recommend to me any book or valuable
>articles that were written by the American authors about different viocing
>procedures?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Paul  Siwko-Bajon

Ken & Paul & List,

I must admit that *my* experience has been that there are an awful lot of
piano techs out there who don't voice (and may I include don't touch-up
regulation, but leave it to the point of being a major job). IMHO, attention
to voicing should be made if not every time the piano is serviced, then
almost every time it is serviced.  Maybe folks don't voice because they
don't know how, don't want to bother  or have no sense of the true potential
each piano is capable of producing (yes, yes, one must talk it over with the
customer).  Maybe voicing and general making-a-piano-perform-well lag behind
because many technicians base their service rate only on tuning instead of
servicing the whole piano and have the attitude that tuning costs this much
and by God, I'm going to get paid for anything else extra I do!  I'm not
suggesting giving one's services away, but taking the time (and charging
thus) to truly make a difference in the performance of the piano.  It worked
for me!  I was always the highest priced tech in town, did no advertising
and had a steady supply of customers, most with *very* nice pianos (even
before I had a university job).  My ability to voice and get a piano playing
up to its potential [among other things :-)] really set me apart from the
rest of the boys!

Paul, I learned everything I know about voicing from going to PTG classes,
talking with other technicians at or after meeting them at PTG meetings,
seminars and conventions and experimenting and practicing on my own.
(Thanks especially to Wally Brooks, Ben McKlveen, Jim Harvey and Karla
Pfennig.) Oh, yes, I've learned a few tricks on this list, too!

Barbara Richmond, RPT
Palestine, Texas*

*Texas--voted most annoying state in the US by Spy magazine.