Europe vs. USA

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Mon, 29 Apr 1996 17:32:52 -0400

Paul writes that in general, there are not many piano techs in the US that
can discuss different aspects of piano sound with an artist before his/her
performance,... and.... it would be disireable for a piano tech to go through
formal music training.

I think that one of the problems many piano tuners/technicians have in the US
is their lack of formal music training. Although there are many techs who
play piano, there are many who don't have a degree in music, much less formal
music training in high school. That, unforntuately, is one of the main
differences between European and US education. European take their arts, and
especailly music, much more seriously. One prime example is the number of
full time opera houses, symphony orchestras, and community bands. As a
result, when a person in Europe wants to enter the field of piano tuning,
he/she has had much more exposure to fine music than the average American.

I am very glad that I got my Master's Degree in music education, although I
never got to use it because I quit teaching one year after getting my degree.
But there isn't a day that goes by that I use the knowledge and experience of
getting that degree in my work.

Perhaps the PTG needs to consider giving classes in "musicianship" to
compliment the classes in glue joints and tuning techniques.

Willem Blees RPT
St. Louis