yamaha broken strings

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Mon, 29 Apr 1996 19:08:55 -0400

Mary Logue asks;

>hammers are worn (about 1 cm flat on strike). Any ideas on why the strings
>are breaking?

Dear Mary,

I am gonna take a flier, it may be correct, or it may only serve as
entertainment to a bemused audience watching.

1. Strings are breaking because they are being pounded to the point of
fatigue.
2. They're being pounded because pianists are not hearing all the notes.
3.  Pianists are not hearing the notes, because the hammers are flat
4. The hammers are flat because they have not been kept filed and voiced
5.  The hammers are not voiced because of budget restraints
6.  The restraints hit musicians, 'cause budget is set by non-musicians.
7.  Non-musicians understand money, but not tonal quality .
8., Non-musicians must be taught the economy of maintenance.
9  Technicians and piano students must teach them.

   I think the answer to your problem, is more maintenance budget.  How you
will present the difference must be your own judgement.   To me it seems the
choice is between having a harsh, tonally compromised,(1 cm is a big flat
spot IMHO) instrument that is breaking strings, or a piano that with more
regular maintenace, provides that nice tonal range of brilliance, and doesn't
break so many strings.
    A flat hammer doesn't seem to produce acoustic power anywhere near a
round one, but it still flexes the string as far, (makes performers play
harder trying to hear).

   Lotta other reasons for this problem, from bad wire, to problems in
let-off settings,  but I just thought I would chip one in from this
direction.

Regards, and good luck!
Ed Foote