Steinway hammers?

Yardbird47@aol.com Yardbird47@aol.com
Mon, 29 Apr 1996 23:03:06 -0400

Les Smith rote, 4/29/96:
<< Boy, Rory, it sounds like you're losing faith. You have to remember that
 those Steinway upright hammers that you just installed are the finest made
today. However, unlike those produced by lesser manufacturers like Abel and
Renner, which sound great immediately with only a minimum of filing and
 voicing, with the Steinway hammers you're buying POTENTIAL! Which means that
after alot of filing and lacquering and filing and lacquering and filing and
lacquering you MIGHT be able to get them sounding as good as the hammers
 found in Baldwin Acrosonics 30 years ago. MAYBE. Okay, okay, so maybe those
Steinway upright hammers are only the second best hammers made , but where
are you going to find a set of 30 year old Acrosonic hammers that will fit
that Steinway console you're rehammering? Keep the faith!>>

You know, Les, I had to soak this post for six hours in some mighty strong
vinnegar to leach out the sarcasm, but after that it makes for pretty goiod
advice. <g>.

Seriously, I wouldn't be ashamed to put Baldwin vertical hammer on any piano.
Goofd felt, well pressed.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter

".......true more in general than specifically"
Lenny Bruce, spoofing a radio discussion of the
                        Hebrew roots of Calypso music