Novice replacing strings.

Mark Krieger msk@unipress.com
Mon, 12 Feb 1996 11:25:45 -0500 (EST)

Hello. I am a novice pianotech wannabee who has been lurking for a few
months while I have been rebuilding the family 'heirloom' Kranich  & Bach
baby grand.

I have taken apart and repaired and regulated the action, which was quite
a mess -- and people were right -- given the lack of replacement
parts, difficult and time-consuming. Cleaned, tightened, etc according to
Reblitz, all notes now play, it even sounds pretty good. A great piano to
learn and experiment on: Loads of problems to contend with.

My question: There are several broken strings, all in 3rd-5th octaves. I
bought correct string from Beethoven supply last week. I can follow the
Reblitz directions up to a point and then I make a mess --- once I place
end of the string into the tuning pin, I have a miserable time making the
3 neat turns needed. (I am turning the pins out 3 turns first as I am
supposed to.) Reblitz describes a lot of things very carefully, but not
this. I simply measured the 3 inches which will be wound onto the pin, cut
the string, place the string end into the pin and turned. The wire simply
doesn't wind neatly. What am I missing? Will practice make perfect?

Please respond to me at msk@unipress.com. I do not wish to waste list
bandwidth with a lot of answers to this novice question.

Thank you,

Mark

Mark Krieger
UniPress Software     http://www.unipress.com