yamaha broken strings

Charles Ball ckball@mail.utexas.edu
Tue, 30 Apr 1996 20:59:47 -0500

{snip}

>Charles,
>   Would you please describe your method of refinishing the capo bar. Thanks
>for the above tips. I prefer using a dummy pin as well, to attatch the string
>to the existing tuning pin as long as the pins are still tight enough.
>
>Doug Hershberger,RPT

Sure Doug,

I have had good results using various grades of emory cloth, starting with
the course and progressing to the fine for polishing. Since this can be a
rather nasty job, I cover the keybed with newspaper. Then I lay a mirror
below the section that I am working on--with a good light you can clearly
see your work.

The principle is similar to hammer filing, i.e. you maintain the basic shape
of the bar, removing as little material as necessary from the "crown" until
the grooves virtually disappear. This means that the sides have to be
reduced as well, otherwise you wind up with a bar that is too wide. Use your
own judgment regarding how "pointed" you want to make the bar, although I
tend to want to avoid extremes.

Finally you can coat the bar with your lubricant of choice; I like the gray
colored MuLube. Don't forget to refinish the counterbearing bar between the
tuning pins and the capo as well.

In addition to being messy, this job also takes some "elbow grease". In
cases of excessive grooving, I can see using a power grinder, such as a
Foredom Tool, for working down the iron, but only with great care, and only
as a first step.

Good luck,

Charles

Charles Ball