piano and chandelier

Keith McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Thu, 02 May 1996 09:30:49 -0500

Dear list,

I received permission to post this from rec.music.makers.piano newsgroup:

>Brenda and Larry Clough wrote:
>
> I'm not sure whether this is a solveable problem or not.  But, when I play
> the piano in my living room, certain notes make my chandelier, in the
> dining room next door, buzz.  It's usually the lower notes, played loudly.
> I'm sure that they just hit the harmonic frequency of the light fixture
> or something.  But how do I make it stop?  I don't think I can remove the
> chandelier. I am thinking about wedging a bit of paper towel between the
> pieces of metal and glass instead.
>
>Although I've never heard of anybody in real life who has this
>problem so far, there is a literary precedent.  In Dorothy Sayers' novel,
>BUSMAN's HONEYMOON, woman who's helping her son refurbish his house writes
>to him saying that the chandelier has been cleaned and reinstalled.  She
>gets the piano tuner in at the same time to pound on the piano for an hour,
>to be sure it doesn't jingle.
>
> Brenda

Any help or ideas that I can send to these folks.

Thank you,

Keith McGavern, RPT
kam544@ionet.net
Oklahoma Baptist University
Shawnee, Oklahoma, USA

                      PIANOTECH Digest 273

Topics covered in this issue include:

  1) Re: Grand piano repair question
      by larryf@pacifier.com (Larry Fisher)
  2) Ben in Cuba
      by scott.e.johnson@24stex.com
  3) Re: Ben in Cuba
      by Allen Leigh <allen@pengar.com>
  4) Re: Grand piano repair question
      by ATodd@UH.EDU (Avery Todd)
  5) Re: Ben in Cuba
      by bbarasa@tbcnet.com (Barb Barasa)
  6) New Model Kawai's
      by ATodd@UH.EDU (Avery Todd)
  7) Student Help
      by ATodd@UH.EDU (Avery Todd)
  8) Re: Europe vs. USA
      by Horace Greeley <horace@compadept.com>
  9) Re: Special CD offer in May Stereo Review...p.95
      by Richard Adkins <RADKINS@coe.edu>
 10) Re: Ben in Cuba
      by Frederick G Scoles <scoles@Oswego.Oswego.EDU>
 11) Re: Ben in Cuba
      by kam544@ionet.net (Keith McGavern)
 12) mason & hamlin cc1 9'6" concert grand
      by ATodd@UH.EDU (Avery Todd)
 13) Who is International Piano Supply? (long)
      by ATodd@UH.EDU (Avery Todd)
 14) Re: Ben in Cuba -Reply
      by Richard Adkins <RADKINS@coe.edu>
 15) Who is International Piano Supply? (long) -Reply
      by Richard Adkins <RADKINS@coe.edu>
 16) Articles on the "Horowitz" Steinway touch weight
      by Richard Adkins <RADKINS@coe.edu>
 17) Re: Ben in Cuba -Reply
      by bbarasa@tbcnet.com (Barb Barasa)
 18) Re: Ben in Cuba -Reply -Reply
      by Richard Adkins <RADKINS@coe.edu>
 19) Re: Europe vs. USA
      by kam544@ionet.net (Keith McGavern)
 20) Re:  Articles on the "Horowitz" Steinway touch weight
      by Benjamin Treuhaft <blt@igc.apc.org>
 21) Re: Europe vs. USA
      by rfader@dowco.com (Rory Fader)
 22) Re: Articles on the "Horowitz" Steinway touch weight
      by Les Smith <lessmith@buffnet.net>
 23) Jokes on this list
      by RVCARR@aol.com
 24) Re: Ben in Cuba