Articles on the "Horowitz" Steinway touch weight

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Thu, 02 May 1996 21:56:59 -0400 (EDT)

Rich, Although I cannot now remember the source, I read something similar
a couple of years ago. I think I have the article around here somewhere.
If you watch tapes of Horowitz playing you'll notice that he compensated
fpr those ultra-bright hammers by using more una-corda pedal than any other
pianist I've ever seen. So much so, that if you concentrate on the action
of the piano, you'll think that you're watching a Duo-Art reproducing player
with a shifter mechanism rather than a human pianist. Be that as it may, no
one will argue with the results he achieved!

Les Smith
lessmith@buffnet.net