metronome ? Gallops

Frederick G Scoles scoles@Oswego.Oswego.EDU
Mon, 06 May 1996 11:22:10 -0400 (EDT)

Scott,  I think most pundulum units that develop a gallop can be easily
repaired by simply readjusting (carefully turning) the pressed-on
escapement cam on the main shaft.  Use two good long-nose pliers; grasp
the shaft with one, and the cam with the other, and turn so slightly to
change the cam's alignment.  Place unit on a good, level surface; check
evenness, and readjust cam until gait is even.  Some old units might be
dirty enough to need cleaning and re-oiling, much like a clock.  The
gallop or swing-beat is usually caused by rough handling (dropping or
banging), or improper adjustment from the factory.  Do not rely so much on
getting the arm to swing equal distance left and right; concentrate more
on an even beat.  Some old units, such as the original French Maelzels
(valuable?, I don't know, but some of my customers use them) might warrant a
good clock technician's attention.  You might also then check the unit's
accuracy and repeatability against your digital stopwatch. Hope this post
is on time to help (Yes, I do realize pun is the lowest form of humor).

Fred Scoles, RPT,  Oswego, NY