Piano Moving

mortier@newtech.net mortier@newtech.net
Mon, 06 May 1996 20:17:11 +0000 (GMT)

I move pianos as well as tune, and I've seen numerous grand-moving techniques.
Some kepp the lyre attached and use it as a fulcrum in lowering the grand. I
prefer to remove it and prop up the bass corner with a wooden tripod I bought
from Schaff years ago. I've also used a simple box made from 2 x 4s and
masonite. The prop allows bass leg removal, then lowering onto skid. I use one
helper with any grand up to 6'. I've also seen movers use a skid with wheels
permanently attached (with brakes). The grand is lowered onto this rig without
need to re-lift the skid for the dolley. I prefer the dolly because I use a
ramp up to my truck (a pickup), and the fulcrum-like action of the dolly makes
this easier.

Speaking of skidboards, I wish someone made them with pulling straps on the
front. I have to add them. It would also be nicer if someone made a
pneumatic-tired dolly with larger wheels to move across lawns. The addition of
a simple brake for hills would be useful!

Philip Jamison
West Chester, PA