Lyre a load bearing member?

Wippen@aol.com Wippen@aol.com
Mon, 06 May 1996 22:45:03 -0400

Bob Carr writes on 5/6:
>Much of the recent Grand Moving thread has related to getting >the grand on
its side (or back up again) using the lyre to >support (a major portion of
the weight of) the piano.
(snip)

Bob,

I , as you, spent a long time refusing to allow movers to move a grand using
the methods described in recent posts, even to the point of Close Encounters
of the Physical Kind.

It was always my belief that supporting the weight of a large grand was not
the designed function of the lyre and doing so was a big no-no.

However, the local Kawai dealers movers always use  the system being
discussed and assured me that it was never a problem. When the Kawai reps
were here for our annual sale I ran it by them and they concurred with the
dealer. They say that it is common practice at most trade shows etc. to set
up and tear down grands in this manner.

I'm still skeptical that it is the prudent way to go in every instance.

Paul Dempsey
Marshall University
wippen@aol.com