more Steinway questions

Keith McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Tue, 07 May 1996 01:25:04 -0500

>That pin on each end of the keyframe, is there a way to bend it or
>raise it up when you need more pressure on it and there is no more
>paper to remove from under the cheekblock?
>Benjamin Treuhaft
>Berkeley, Calif

Newton Hunt sent this info earlier this year (4/29) about this subject, Ben:

---------
Scott of S&S recommends removing the plate, stand on end like a letter "C" and
tap the upper right corner with a light hammer to close the gap between the
arms of the "C".  Smoe minor filing may be necessary for clearance.  I have not
yet tried this but it beats buying a new plate and spending an hour or more
filing to fit.
---------

I had mentioned earlier this year (2/16) that the keyframe end pins might
be eccentric in some instances.  If the pin is eccentric, by turning the
pin in its hole, there would be a low side and a high side.  Maybe what I
encountered was a keyframe end pin that had been bent   [Ben Ben(t)]
;-)

Scott's method seems like a great way to handle the situation.

Keith McGavern, RPT
kam544@ionet.net
Oklahoma Baptist University
Shawnee, Oklahoma, USA