more Steinway questions

Ted_Sambell@BanffCentre.AB.CA Ted_Sambell@BanffCentre.AB.CA
Tue, 07 May 1996 11:44:05 -0600 (MDT)

        Reply to:   RE>>more Steinway questions
Hello Ben,

It is not a good idea to bend the keyframe pin; I had an experience with a
Hamburg Steinway  D where this had been done and the pin had snapped off
flush  with the end of the front rail. So someone drilled underneath the
broken stump and fitted a three inch long  quarter inch drill bit as a
substitute pin. This in turn had broken  wood out of the bottom surface of
the rail. We managed to effect a sound repair by cutting out the damage,
inlaying a new piece of maple and fitting a new pin.
The usual remedy for a slapping front rail where there are no cardboard
shims on the keyblock is to shim the top edge of the keyblock plate down.
If it only needs a small amount the screws can be loosened most of the way
and a strip of card or veneer inserted and the screws re-tightened.
The plate must not protrude below the bottom of the keyblock. Of course,
the keyframe should be properly bedded first, as it often happens that the
glides have been turned down, thus raising the front rail off the keybed. I
hope this is helpful.

P. S. I heard you on 'As it Happens' , Canadian Radio with Michael Enright
two evenings ago. All power to you, and I hope to make your acquaintance
this July in Dearborn!

Ted_Sambell@BanffCentre.ab.ca