C.Y.A.

Newton Hunt nhunt@rci.rutgers.edu
Tue, 07 May 1996 14:39:22 -0400

May 7, 1996

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

On April 25 my chairman, a clarinetist, wrote of me in the annual
performance appraisal:

"...I am very concerned however with the number of complaints about the
quality of tuning and regulation that I receive from students and
particularly the piano faculty....  Although he may enjoy international
esteem and admiration by his professional peers, it is unfortunate that
the quality of his work is seriously questioned by the contingency whom
he serves."

No specifics of whom, which, where, why or when.

I have not yet had a meeting with the chair about this matter, but, as
you who know me know, I am incapable of doing bad tunings or bad regula-
tion, I just don't know how.

Mistakes have and will be made, new parts and changing humidity rarely
mix advantageously and we had a severe winter with humidity going from a
September 86% to a February 15%.

On May 4th I was informed that because of budget restraints (I also sell
bridges) I have been changed from a 12 month to a 10 month employee with
2 months notice of a drop in take home income of $4207.77 (no July,
August or early September paychecks).

Needless to say, I am not particularly delirious about this situation
since I was neither consulted about nor a part of the decision precess.

My point in posting this is that I feel sorry for myself and in those
institutions where budget problems abound, please;

    Keep all notes of appreciation from students and faculty.

    Make a record of each complaint or service advisement or
    request and its regulation.

    Maintain exact records of services performed, including such
    things as string replacements, lyre rods adjusted, squeaks
    resolved, benches repaired or anything else requiring your
    time.  The more detailed the more easily proven.

    When a new chairman comes in, especially one who is not a
    pianist, inform the chair of what you do, how you do it and
    why and especially of any problems with meeting departmental
    needs.  For instance, I have 132 instruments in various
    levels of use and needs, and I am the only technician avail-
    able.

Plan for a loss of income of this nature for six to nine months in
advance if you have continual budget cutbacks like we have had each year
for the past seven years.  Don't assume your position is unassailable as
I did.

We are fortunately able to cope, we have some very small savings, the
car will be paid for in mid June and I can draw from a business my
brother and I share in partnership.  I have a M&H A in the shop I can
begin to rebuild for future sale.  My wife, a teacher, will continue to
get checks since she is on a 12 month payment schedule, Thank God!

Please watch your backsides, make yourselves indispensable and prepare
for disaster

      Newton
      nhunt@rci.rutgers.edu