Baldwin Concert Vertical 6000

Charles K. Ball ckball@mail.utexas.edu
Wed, 08 May 1996 09:37:29 -0500

Dear Judy,

I have had recent experience with this model. One of our recent graduates
with a DMA in piano purchased a Baldwin 6000 last year, and I tuned it for
him in the Fall. Both he and his teacher felt that it has a good tone, and
as far as I know he has been happy with it.

Last week one of my clients purchased the same model for her daughter, a
piano teacher, without playing a note first. When I discussed it with a
colleague who has worked for the Baldwin dealer, he warned that the action
can be problematic. As predicted, when I tuned it I found that the action
felt insubstantial and sluggish. Later the client called to express concern
about the poor repetition.

The tone was rich and round, despite the spinet sized hammers; but I
suspect that the action will continue to be a problem. I have not seen a
Baldwin vertical action that I could recommend for many years. Furthermore,
the stringing includes the infamous bend at the becket, a practice that I
have only seen elsewhere on the utter trash pianos produced in North
Carolina several years back.

In my experience, most of the major producers of Japanese pianos make very
good verticals, especially in a comparable height to the Baldwin 6000. Even
the Young Chang is worth checking out. We had one on trial in our School of
Music a few years back (a 48"), and found it nearly comparable to Yamaha
and Kawai.

Those who prefer the warm and round tones of "classic" American pianos
might lean toward the Baldwin; it is a pity that the actions are so flimsy.

Have you consulted the Fine book, "The Piano Book"?

Regards,

Charles

Charles Ball
School of Music