C.Y.A.

Larry Fisher larryf@pacifier.com
Wed, 08 May 1996 09:58:58 -0800

From: Newton Hunt <nhunt@rci.rutgers.edu>

Subject: C.Y.A.

>Dear Friends and Colleagues,
>
>On April 25 my chairman, a clarinetist, wrote of me in the annual
>performance appraisal:
>
>"...I am very concerned however with the number of complaints about the
>quality of tuning and regulation that I receive from students and
>particularly the piano faculty....  Although he may enjoy international
>esteem and admiration by his professional peers, it is unfortunate that
>the quality of his work is seriously questioned by the contingency whom
>he serves."
>
>No specifics of whom, which, where, why or when.
>

>     Newton
 >     nhunt@rci.rutgers.edu

I've seen a lot of this sort of thing going on lately.  Major corporations
generating false information to reduce their payroll and avoid financial
compensations.  A clean and quick reduction in expenses.  In your case
Newton, mayhaps the department head has been looking, pressured by over
lordes, to reduce expenses in the department,...... a quota has to be met by
each department......  nothing in writing sort of thing.  Maintenance is
usually the first area to suffer in any department.  Being a former clarinet
player myself, I have deep seated feelings about clarinet players, teachers,
sellers, buyers, and clarinet makers.  I won't share any of those feelings
with you now, but perhaps dried thistles in the finger tips of a nice pair
of driving gloves gives you some ideas.  If the university is going to cut
back your hours by a few months, that's a lot nicer than simply cutting out
your department all together.  They could consider contracting with
independant techs on a less often basis and let the pianos slowly slip into
oblivion like so many institutions I've dealt with.

Mayhaps the department head has some sights set on bringing in a different
tech and needs to run you out first.  On paper, that action has to look
right to avoid costly litigation.  Whining teachers, students and performers
are a great source of paperwork to make a claim against you.  You need to
counteract with your own methods (payola, booze, drugs, flesh, threats have
all been historically proven methods) and paperwork to douse the flames.

This is the 90's.  DIVERSIFY!!!   It's easy for me to say, I'm diversified
to the hilt.  I feel I'll sustain minor damage should another financial
panic hit this market.  My cars are paid for, and in good running order.  My
house payments are small, and I have no liens against the property.  My shop
I'm building as I can afford it and I'm almost fiinished.  My database has
an assortment of income types from blue collar to  professionals to
retirees.  I've put my prices up just high enough to rid my database of the
cheapskates and people that just want to pay the least for the absolute
minimum service.

If I were to depend on just one area of this business for income, this being
a luxury business, I'd feel uneasy on a daily basis.  Depending on a large
conglomerate type organization like a university for my sole source of
income, IN A LUXURY BUSINESS, is like walking on thin ice for me.  The
latest trend is to cut expenses and increase profits in order to compete and
increase the pocket loads of some entreprenuers.  Although this might not
fit in your particular case, it's a pretty good mindset to work with to
prepare youself for this present attack.  If I were in your position I'd
prepare a price list of what it would take to call in outside talent to do
your work.  If I felt really brave, I'd prepare a list of absolute minimum
service, a price and consider establishing outside sources of income.  I'd
also start moving faster, more effectively and keep my hours to a rock solid
starting point, and ending point.  No exceptions, price affects flexability.
Having the summer months off, providing you can handle the $4K reduction in
money from that particular source, gives you the chance to diversify your
"porfolio" of income sources.

Dedicated piano technicians in a major educational facility is a real treat
for the student and the teacher.  It's fast becoming a luxury that is one of
the first areas to be cut.  The music industry as a whole needs to educate
the public (especially teachers that live on pedestals) on the importance of
music, and how it helps with brain development, social and emotional growth
through learing how to play an instrument, and acceptance of diversity.

I'm sorry to hear of your dilema Newton.  My ramblings don't provide a quick
fix to your problem but a long term solution might work more gooder and be a
benifit to us all.

Later dude.

Lar

                           Larry Fisher RPT, Metro Portland, Oregon's
                  Factory Preferred Installer for MSR/PianoDisc Products
                       phone 360-256-2999 or email larryf@pacifier.com
                            http://pacifier.com/~larryf/homepage.html
           the piano's keyboard smiled at me & said, "I dare ya to tune me!"