tech tip: filing hammers

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Wed, 08 May 1996 18:50:34 -0400

I was taught to file upright hammers while facing the action, as if it were
in the piano. One problem I always encountered was that I would not file as
much off the bottom of the hammers, as from the top.

Just recently I discovered another way of filing hammers that allows me to
file as much off the bottom as off the top, and at the same time, make sure
the hammers are filed smooth. I do this by filing the hammers with the
dampers facing me. This gives me total access to the hammers, and, as I
mentioned, allows me to see the crowns much better, thus making sure they are
not only square, but also smooth. Of course the action has to sit on the
bench for this, but even if it takes 5 minutes to remove the action, the time
saved, and the cleaner job of filing, makes it worth while.

Maybe someone else has already thought of this before, but for me, it was a
"new discovery".

Just thought I'd pass it on.

Wim Blees  RPT
St. Louis.