pre-tuning screw (bolt) tightening

Dean L. Reyburn, RPT dean@reyburn.com
Wed, 08 May 1996 19:38:37 -0400

John Peters, RPT writes:
>I'm interested in what tools (i.e., torque wrenches, etc) and procedures
>other tuners are using in the field to tighten down plate screws and bolts
>prior to tuning.  What about the screws partially under strings?   Thanks =
in
>advance.

I use two small tools that fit into a tuning hammer start tip.  One =
is phillips, the other regular (slotted) screws.  I also carry =
several sockets and an adjustable wrench for those pianos which have =
bolts, not screws.

Last time I checked, Pacific Piano Supply carried the two small tools =
made by Francis MaHaefey (sp?).  Any of Francis's tools I have used =
are great, especially his impact tuning hammer.

I do not use a torque wrench, but do it by feel.  Hand tight is fine. =
 I prefer to tighten all accessible plate bolts on new customer's =
pianos, on the first service, and once every few years after that.  =
The best time to check them (in Michigan at least) is in the winter =
when humidity is low.

Watch out for several types of grand pianos which do not need the =
plate *rim* bolts tightened, namely newer Yamaha "F" series grands =
and, I believe, Baldwin grands built since the 1970's.  I don't tune =
many Baldwins, so maybe someone elsce could comments on that.  These =
grands (and some others possibly) have bolts that set the height of =
the plate, and should not be turned.  The other screws and bolts =
around the tuning pin area of these pianos still need tightening.

 I do not like to tighten "nose" bolts on plates, they don't ever =
seem to loosen from season change like other plate bolts (and =
tightening them can be risky).  I don't do heroic measures to tighten =
bolts such as moving strings, unless it is a problem piano.

Plate bolt/screw tightening is more critical on pianos with tuning =
pin bushings such as Yamahas, than it is for pianos such as Steinways =
that have no pin bushings.  Non pin bushing pianos rely more on the =
tuning pin to pinblock connection to transfer pressure.  At least =
that=B9s my experience.  I still tighten bolts on Steinways, but with =
Yamahas and Kawais, I have seen several instances where pianos went =
from holding tune poorly to holding very well after tightening =
bolts/screws on the plate.

Just my opinion and experience...

Hope that helps.

Dean

 Dean L. Reyburn, RPT                    Sanderson Accu-Tuner
 REYBURN PIANO SERVICE, INC.             Authorized Distributor
 2695 Indian Lakes Rd, NE               "Software Solutions
 Cedar Springs, MI  49319  USA           for Piano Technicians"
 616-696-0500  Fax: 616-696-8121         email:  dean@reyburn.com
 NEW Toll free:  1-888-SOFT-440

See Accu-Tuners and our software at our Web site: www.reyburn.com