C.Y.A.

Thomas A. Sheehan aquinas@nyc.pipeline.com
Wed, 08 May 1996 23:49:24 +0000 (GMT)

Dear Newton -

You have been an inspiration and example to me for more than 20 years in
this business. When I was a novice tuner in Boston, you were kind enough to
listen to my "stupid" questions at various regional seminars, and to answer
them in your typically succinct and good-humored way. Later on, when I was
serving as president of the Boston Chapter, you visited our meetings and
gave generously of your time and knowledge to all of us in the chapter.

For this, and for your more recent generosity in suggesting ways that I
might help my blind apprentice, I am happily and gratefully in your debt.
As you may remember, I was Director of Piano Maintenance at Berklee College
of Music in Boston from 1973 - 1984. I had 200 pianos (mostly Yamaha
uprights) and 2,000 critics (faculty and students). Institutional work is
inherently capable of being evaluated negatively, especially by those who
should know better! Any instrumentalist, especially someone who plays a
wooden instrument, such be able to realize that the piano responds to
humidity changes and abuse to the same proportionate degree as the smaller
wooden instruments. Violinists and other string players are forever
adjusting their bridges and tone posts. Oboes have made reed cutting into a
zen-like art. And clarinetists worth their salt have more than one barrel,
and more than one bell available to compensate for pitch and timbre
weather-caused changes.

Despite this, I'm unfortunately not surprised by the so-called "Performance
Appraisal" that has been done so far. It is the rare exception that one
finds a truly perceptive and knowledgeable department administrator in
place, particularly surrounding the issue of piano service budgeting. I was
fortunate to have had very good management at Berklee, in the provost, Mr.
Bob Share who is sadly deceased, and in the then vice president (now
president) Mr. Lee Berk.

I empathize with your situation, and am optimistic that your innate quality
of character, skill and temperament (pun), will carry the day through these
extremely vexing and frustrating times.

Thank you very much for everything you've given to me, and more
importantly, for that which you've given to our profession and
organization!

Best regards from a newly vetted PTG Associate - scheduled to regain my RPT
classification once my re-testing is completed (tuning - June; bench -
August), and proud new member of the New York City PTG chapter,

Sincerely,

Tom Sheehan

--
Thomas A. Sheehan