C.Y.A.

Thomas C. Cobble cobble@urvax.urich.edu
Wed, 08 May 1996 21:31:53 -0400 (EDT)

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

>On April 25 my chairman, a clarinetist, wrote of me in the annual
>performance appraisal:
>
>"...I am very concerned however with the number of complaints about the
>quality of tuning and regulation that I receive from students and
>particularly the piano faculty....  Although he may enjoy international
>esteem and admiration by his professional peers, it is unfortunate that
>the quality of his work is seriously questioned by the --- ETC

Dear Newton and all of the rest of you "Tenured. Full-Time Techs::::::

I really hate to be the bringer of bad news,but there is something happening
here that needs to be addressed.. It seems to me that a majority of the
dialog I read on this medium seems to be generated by you guys and gals with
"real Jobs"
So please take this with a shovel of salt, but I really believe that there
will be fewer and fewer of those kinds of positions in the future. I have
seen and been  caught up in the trend where Chairmmen of $$$ strapped Music
Depts.
> find it expedient to cut the Piano Tech's position from 12 to 10
months....    and that's only step # 1. The next step is to take the
position to a
PART TIME position,, That's step # 2. The next step is to put the whole
thing out on BID !!!!!!!

SORRY--- but you can most likely expect it...  This has been happening all
over the country for years to Music teachers.They call them "ADJUNCT
FACULTY.. It will happen to Techs.   I even feel that the whole process of
"Tenure" is in danger...... Benefits are EXPENSIVE  and the educational
community will soon mirror the trend in the larger work community of people
not working at one place for their lives...
Look what the last GM strike was about..  Subing out parts!!'

I know I haven't been very articulate about this, and I also know that i've
stepped on several "Sacred Cows"...  AND I Might Be Wrong,,,  I HOPE I'm Wrong

but somehow I think I'm Not  So.........   Make sure your wife has the
Health Insureance for BOTH of you.... Realize that your Chairman's comments
most likely are Bull Shit, pure and simple. He may even be trying to set you
up for a fall.
Most of the time those guys have the loyality of rattlesnakes with Aids. Not to
mention integrety... After all he's playing C..Y..A.. too... And
remember........you have a skill that can generate good $$$$ INDEPENDENTLY
of any Institution.... and he dosen't.....     And also
remember...Self-Employment does NOT equal Un- Employment........

                                                   Tom Cobble