C.Y.A.

McNeilTom@aol.com McNeilTom@aol.com
Wed, 08 May 1996 23:59:06 -0400

Hi, Newton -

What an unfortunate development!  I agree with Charles Ball's lucid comments
about the  ineffectiveness and inappropriateness of the chair's methods,
regardless of the merits of his complaint.

Newton, I've known you well and long, and I'm certain that his complaint will
be found to be based on some poor communication somewhere, not on any lack of
expertise or energy on your part.  If you ever need a personal letter of
support, please count on me.

To the List -

Two comments I have to add to the discussion:
(1)  It is good to document your work.  This is a pain, of course, but comes
in handy sometimes, particularly if there are tensions about, or if you're
lobbying for resources.  (There always are tensions when money is short.)  We
put in place a system when I was at SUNY Fredonia:  Each piano service
"event" (tuning, repair, voicing, cleaning, moving, overhaul, etc.) was
written up very briefly on a "sales slip".   The info recorded included date,
piano serial number, service rendered, hours spent, and technician's
initials. Recording the info took only a minute or so. We used a
duplicate-copy sales slip form from New England Business Services (
800-225-6380 for their free catalog).  Each tech turned in the original
copies to me and kept the duplicates for his/her records.  Once a month or so
I would have a work-study student log the 100 or so slips onto the computer
data base, a couple hours' work.  It was then easy to have the data base
generate a report of whatever sort needed to support your needs (or
presumably, to defend yourself from allegations of those who are unaware of
what we are doing every day!)

(2)  State University of New York claims to be the largest university extant,
with the largest faculty, biggest staff, etc., - and the largest employee
union in higher education, the United University Professions.  This union
comprises the teaching/research faculty and most of the professional support
staff (including piano techs), but not the civil servants (secretaries, lawn
mower jockies, plumbers).  It was both interesting and enriching being
involved with the faculty members and colleagues in the professional staff
through the union.  It also provided opportunities to meet and communicate
with others "in the same boat" all over the state.  Being a union activist
takes some time (why can't we just take care of the pianos!), but the union
is invaluable to have in your corner when management decides to get
"adversarial".  (If your position is under the umbrella of a union, it is
probably because there is an adversarial management.)  I would urge you to
get involved.

-     -     Tom McNeil     -     -
Vermont Piano Restorations   (no union needed, because the owner is such a
nice guy!)