C.Y.A.

Brent.Fischer@asu.edu Brent.Fischer@asu.edu
Wed, 08 May 1996 21:51:32 -0700

Recently, Leonard W. Childs wrote,

Newton, I have known you for over 10 years and know you to be one of the
best piano technician/tuner in the business and what you are going through
is happening throught all universities.  Here in San Antonio, TX, we RPT's
refuse to work for UTSA because of what they pay and how they treat their
technicians.
I'm really sorry this is happening to you.

It is disturbing to hear Newton hasn't received the usual complaint
protocal that I would expect from those I serve faithfully.  The normal
route is a face to face meeting with the division chair  to formulate
the expectations of the piano faculty into a service schedule that
will meet the standard university requirements without sacrificing
the rest of the inventory. With Newton's instrument ratio it
is unlikely anyone could  maintain studio pianos at the level
expected of teaching instruments.

It might be encouraging to know that the negative downsizing statistics
I keep reading about on every post concerning this subject is not happening
here  at Arizona State and I hope there is at least one more of you out
there on the other side of the fence.  The last four years have been
good for us with an excellent administation, in fact we have more
budget money than I know what to do with, well almost. Our salaries
are fair and  the benefits are outstanding. We are empowered to get
the job done without question.

The ratio of two techs to about 175 pianos is the key. This allows
monitering of keyboard studios on a weekly basis with some time
for real refinement. It is imperative for the senior tech at any
school to have the time and patience to work with keyboard profs
in a creative  rather than hostile enviornment.

Brent Fischer

Brent.Fischer@ASU.EDU
Arizona State University/Tempe