Baldwin Concert Vertical 6000

Paul Stephens pauls@ieighty.net
Thu, 09 May 1996 04:56:03 -0700

Glenn Grafton wrote:

> [...]
several have commented, the quality of the workmanship seems poor.  For a
piano of this size and alleged quality, this particular instrument
required suginificant dealer prep (which the dealer hadn't done)--string
leveling, hammer alignment, etc.  When I finished with all of this, the
instrument sounds good and plays OK.  One concern is the position of the
dowel capstan under the whippen foot.  On this piano the foot is far
forward and capstan only contacts the whippen at the back edge of the
foot.  The foot is so far forward that just over half of the capstan is
actually under the foot, although the position in relation to the whippen
center and the balance rail pin appears to be correct.  I called a friend
who works with quality control at Baldwin about my concerns and he
reported that he had the same initial concern.  That is apparently the
way this piano is designed.  He said that on pianos returned to the
factory for warranty work, there did not appear to be excessive wear on
the whippen cloth in this area.

Has anyone else noted this design?  And does anyone else share my
concerns?

Paul Stephens, RPT