tech tip: filing hammers

David Porritt dporritt@post.cis.smu.edu
Thu, 09 May 1996 07:00:40 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 8 May 1996, Jim Kinnear wrote:

> Do any of you use a dremel tool with the appropriate sanding drum( small )for
> filing hammers? I make a pass in each direction so the rotation of the drum is
> in the direction of the crown.  With a little practice ( on junked actions ) the
> results can be quite pleasing. The process takes about a half an hour, and you
> need a vacuum cleaner running at the same time, kind of like the saliva sucker
> at the dentists.
>
> Comments??
> Jim Kinnear

Jim:

I have filed hammers that way for years.  I did a set yesterday.  It is
fast and (after some practice) accurate.  I followed up with a little
gang filing but I have found that when you need to reshape a set with a
flat striking surface it is the fastest way to get there.  When people
ask me about doing it that way, I always recommend that they practice
on 3 or 4 sets that will be thrown away.

dave

David M. Porritt, RPT
Meadows School of the Arts
Southern Methodist University