pre-tuning screw (bolt) tightening

Newton Hunt nhunt@rci.rutgers.edu
Thu, 09 May 1996 08:06:13 -0400

I have two screw drivers made to fit into a brace that have been ground down to
fit into the tip of my tuning hammer.  Using this arrangement I turn the screws
until they stop at about 100 "/#s (a guess based upon tuning pin tightness).  I
skip alternate screws going around the parimeter in one direction and pick up
the loose ones on the return trip.  Screws inaccessable cannot be turned which
is a shame because I would like to tighten them as well.

I don't think torque standards can be set because wood types, hardness and ages
and support systems vary too greatly.  Examples
      Maple vs mahogony
      Soft maple and hard maple
      Maple 100 years old and maple 10 years old
      Dowel support of the plate vs wood blocks.

Tightness is to integrate the plate and wooden structure into one cohessive
unit.

I hope this is helpful.
      Newton
      nhunt@rci.rutgers.edu