tech tip: filing hammers

Barb Barasa bbarasa@tbcnet.com
Thu, 09 May 1996 10:19:57 -0500

>Do any of you use a dremel tool with the appropriate sanding drum( small )for
>filing hammers? I make a pass in each direction so the rotation of the drum is
>in the direction of the crown.  With a little practice ( on junked actions
) the
>results can be quite pleasing. The process takes about a half an hour, and you
>need a vacuum cleaner running at the same time, kind of like the saliva sucker
>at the dentists.
>
>Comments??
>Jim Kinnear

No.  When I see actions which have hammers "filed" with a dremel tool, they
have really only  been cleaned.  There are still grooves in them, but to the
uninitiated, they look like new hammers.  I know lots of people do this, but
to me it is a sign that they don't know how to actually file hammers ---
RE-SHAPE hammers.  Re-shaping means restoring (as closely as possible) the
original shape of the hammers.  I have never seen hammers done with a dremel
tool where this has been accomplished.

When done, the hammers should not only LOOK "clean," they should feel smooth
and have a perfect arc.  If you can do this with a dremel tool, my hat's off
to you. (Actually, I don't wear a hat ... but you get my drift.)

I guess we need to know your definition of "quite pleasing."  To the
customer (who doesn't know any better)?  Or to another technician (who does)?

Barb Barasa
Sycamore IL