tech tip: filing hammers

Barb Barasa bbarasa@tbcnet.com
Thu, 09 May 1996 13:42:33 -0500

>Hi, Barbara,
>     I have seen several people who can use a MotoTool and file hammers to
>magnificance.  Even removing extra felt to balance the felt on both shoulders
>for the first time.  I use a MotoTool and router base (from 30 years ago) to
>rebalance the felt, remove excess wood or felt to achieve desired weight.
>     I have one of the aluminum guides which I have used effectively to
>remove lots of felt and then finish by hand.  I have seen Chris Robinson use a
>MotoTool to shape a hammer _Free Hand_, yet.
>     It is a good tool in the hands of those to know what they are doing but
>can ruin a good set of hammers if used improperly.
>     Get one and play with it.  I think you can find many uses for the tool.
>           Newton
>           nhunt@rci.rutgers.edu

See!  This is what comes from me not going to PTG meetings!  Obviously all
the hammers I have seen moto tooled were not done by competent people.  My
impression on seeing them was that they were done by people in a hurry who
wanted to impress the customer with clean looking hammers but who didn't
want to take the time to actually reshape them.

If/when I get into doing more shop work again, I will certainly take your
recommendation and try this out.  I understand the time-saving part!  Was
just concerned about the quality part.

Barb Barasa