tech tip: filing hammers

Newton Hunt nhunt@rci.rutgers.edu
Thu, 09 May 1996 12:45:15 -0400

Hi, Barbara,
      I have seen several people who can use a MotoTool and file hammers to
magnificance.  Even removing extra felt to balance the felt on both shoulders
for the first time.  I use a MotoTool and router base (from 30 years ago) to
rebalance the felt, remove excess wood or felt to achieve desired weight.
      I have one of the aluminum guides which I have used effectively to
remove lots of felt and then finish by hand.  I have seen Chris Robinson use a
MotoTool to shape a hammer _Free Hand_, yet.
      It is a good tool in the hands of those to know what they are doing but
can ruin a good set of hammers if used improperly.
      Get one and play with it.  I think you can find many uses for the tool.
            Newton
            nhunt@rci.rutgers.edu