tech tip: filing hammers

David Porritt dporritt@post.cis.smu.edu
Thu, 09 May 1996 17:22:51 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 9 May 1996, Barb Barasa wrote:

--snip--

> When I see actions which have hammers "filed" with a dremel tool, they
> have really only  been cleaned.  There are still grooves in them, but to the
> uninitiated, they look like new hammers.  I know lots of people do this, but
> to me it is a sign that they don't know how to actually file hammers ---
> RE-SHAPE hammers.  Re-shaping means restoring (as closely as possible) the
> original shape of the hammers.  I have never seen hammers done with a dremel
> tool where this has been accomplished.
>
> When done, the hammers should not only LOOK "clean," they should feel smooth
> and have a perfect arc.  If you can do this with a dremel tool, my hat's off
> to you. (Actually, I don't wear a hat ... but you get my drift.)
>
> I guess we need to know your definition of "quite pleasing."  To the
> customer (who doesn't know any better)?  Or to another technician (who does)?
>
> Barb Barasa
> Sycamore IL

Barb:

I have used a dremel tool for years, and I can reshape hammers just
like with a sanding "paddle" but with far less hand fatigue.  I too
have seen hammers that have been only "cleaned" with the dremel, but
with practice you can really file them.  Don't try to use the cute
little "guide" that some supply houses sell.  They just get in the way
and prevent real filing.  Also practice on 3 or 4 sets of hammers you
are planning to throw away first.  Also either use the finest sanding
drum you can find, or wear it down on some hard surface before you use
it on the hammers, otherwise you'll make gouges in them that you can't
correct.

dave

David M. Porritt, RPT
Meadows School of the Arts