tech tip: filing hammers

tom dibenedetto tdib@umich.edu
Thu, 09 May 1996 19:47:55 -0400 (EDT)

> On Thu, 9 May 1996, Barb Barasa wrote:
>
 > When I see actions which have hammers "filed" with a dremel tool, they
 > have really only  been cleaned.  There are still grooves in them, but to the
 > uninitiated, they look like new hammers.  I know lots of people do this, but
 > to me it is a sign that they don't know how to actually file hammers ---
 > RE-SHAPE hammers.  Re-shaping means restoring (as closely as possible) the
 > original shape of the hammers.  I have never seen hammers done with a dremel
 > tool where this has been accomplished.

The dremel is simply a tool to allow for quicker sanding. It doesnt
influence, one way or another, the result achieved, except that the
result is arrived at sooner (once one learns how to control the tool!). The
quality of the result is a function of what the technician understands
needs to be done.  I have used it for major reshaping with good results.
-Tom