Hammer Filing or shaping

TACOLE9675@aol.com TACOLE9675@aol.com
Sat, 11 May 1996 00:05:31 -0400

I would like to add another response to Clark Hale's Thu, May 9, 1996 4:04 PM
EDT post about using the Moto Tool to speed up the shaping process.
I think it's important to use a low speed (the same goes for the Foredom
tool). Also, I always use a light touch and let the sanding drum run the way
it wants to run as opposed to pushing it against rotation (digs in).
A third thing is that when the strike point gets pretty close to the wood,
you want to leave some shoulder so you have something left to voice. You
might consider that you're preserving the original radius of the strike point
rather than taking off literal layers and having nicely shaped hammers that
are un-voiceable (radius is too small).
Yes, it would be better to replace the hammers but it's so much cheaper to
reshape. And, once you get the hang of the Moto tool (with flex shaft),
you'll like the speed.

Tom Cole, RPT