C.Y.A

Wippen@aol.com Wippen@aol.com
Tue, 14 May 1996 21:52:33 -0400

Newton,

Let me align myself with all our  colleagues in saying how sorry I am that
you are having to endure this indignity at the hands of this department
chair.

Unfortunatly, in my experience, many times department chairs are
elected/appointed not for their leadership qualities,but for their ability to
play politics and be *yes-men*.

Certainly, if there were(?) concerns expressed regarding your perfomance,
waiting until the annual review to let you know really stinks.

Your first post on this came on May 7. Since then have you had the
oppportunity to talk with any of your faculty- especially allies- to find out
if the allegations REALLY exist at all.
Have you been afforded the opportunity to meet you accusers face to face?
Seems like that is your right and their obligation.
As Tom McNeil said, we technicians often outlive the "guys-in-ties" types. I
myself, in 26 years have survived 8 presidents, 5 deans, I've forgotten how
many V.P.'s, and I'm still breaking in my sixth department chair. Hang tough
and bare your teeth.

If worse comes to worse and they DO cut you back to 10 months, Murphys Law
says that during those two months you're *not* there, some piano emergency
will arise and they'll call on good ole' Newton to bail them out.

You will then have the enviable choice of behaving like the professional you
are ,even when those around you won't, and take care of the emergency
.....or, telling them to go straight to hell.
I'm not sure which way *I'd* go ;-)

Or you could wait till the very busiest time of the year and  go on sick
leave for 2-1/2 months. ( I don't recommend this)
When you come back they will all act like you can walk on water.
I don't know how long this phenomena lasts. Not long I'll wager.

My best wishes and good luck!

Paul Dempsey
Marshall University
wippen@ aol.com