player piano shut off

Larry Fisher larryf@pacifier.com
Tue, 14 May 1996 22:41:42 -0800

>From: Daryl Matthies <pianotec@hcsinc.com>

>Subject: player piano shut off
>M.  I found =
>the shut off pneumatic to be leaking, so I recovered it.  It now works =
>fine.  However, now when a roll is at the end, the paper gets to the =
>reroll holes on the tracker bar and it starts to reroll, but immediately =
>shuts off.  If I push the motor switch again, it will reroll to the =
>beginning just as normal and shut off. =20
>
>Adjusting the reroll brake at different settings doesn't seem to help, =
>neither does altering the tracker bar position or takeup spool.  There =
>doesn't seem to be a gap in the paper when it starts to reroll.  A new =
>or old roll makes no difference. =20
>

>From: hoplandr@cadvision.com (Ray Hopland)

>Subject: reroll
>
>        I would suspect that the reroll pneumatic is too slow which gives
>the shutoff pneumatic time to activate.  Perhaps you should look at the
>condition of the reroll pneumatic and valve.
>
>        Could be the rest of the mechanism is also in need of attention.

The valve for the reroll pneumatic has a pouch.  This pouch is kept in the,
shall we say the off position via a bleed hole.  It's very small, about the
diameter of a sewing needle.  If this hole becomes obstructed with paper
dust, oxidation, fly dandruff, and bad thoughts, the pouch will still suck
down to the off position but it won't take much of a leak somewhere to
release the "suck" and allow the pouch to fire the valve into the reroll
position.  Locate the reroll sensing hole on the tracker bar.  Use a tracker
bar pump or vaccuum the entire tracker bar and concentrate on the reroll
hole.  If this doesn't fix the problem, dig for the bleed cup and see if you
can't poke something through it it free it of it's agony.

One other thing to consider, if you have the white push button in the lower
left corner of the spool box that is part of a micro switch, pneumatic
combination, there are some leather nuts that adjust the sensitivity of that
assembly.  Make them so they're not so sensitive and see if that helps.

Chow dude

:Lar

                           Larry Fisher RPT, Metro Portland, Oregon's
                  Factory Preferred Installer for MSR/PianoDisc Products
                       phone 360-256-2999 or email larryf@pacifier.com
                            http://pacifier.com/~larryf/homepage.html
                         Beau Dahnker pianos work best under water