Bob O'Ling Hammerz

Mark Story mstory@ewu.edu
Wed, 15 May 1996 15:54:25 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 15 May 1996, Larry Fisher wrote:

> I recently spent some extra time on a Samick/PianoDisc installation because
> I wanted to learn about actions and all that is related.  I'll set the
> stage......
>
> The symptom is bobbling hammers on soft playback with the electromechanical
> (PDS) but plays great by hand.  I picked a few notes that were really
> doing it's thing properly.

Am I reading this right, that you only have this problem with Samick
installations?  I have had this problem on others as well, but maybe
there was something about the Samicks and I wasn't paying attention.

> After trying everthing I could think of, I coved the back of the hammer.
> Presto!!  I had checking, and what bobble I had was so small that it didn't
> hit the string a second time.  I then did the rest of the hammers in the
> area and had success on each occation.

Congratulations on finding a fix for this piano.  I'll file this away and
check it out on my next one.  Even if it's not a Samick-specific problem,
the experience could be helpful.  The true test will be if the results
can be duplicated.

> Would anyone care to expound on this??  Samicks are being marketed under
> lots of names, and if I don't learn how to cope with their peculiarities, I
> guess I'll have to cope with a bit of buyer's remorse from the customer.
> I'd prefer to master their actions and understand their (I hate using this
> word) inadequacies.  Or is it me that's inadequate??

It seems that mechanical playing poses new regulation problems that we
will need to get used to in all makes.  I have done several Samick
installations as well (mostly Kohler and Campbell - one twice).  I would
like to see the areas of regulation that are most critical to mechanical
installations identified and explained in an ordered fashon.

Mark Story, RPT

mstory@ewu.edu
Eastern Washington University Music Department
Cheney, Washington, USA
http:www.class.ewu.edu/MUSIC/Department/music.html