Bob O'Ling Hammerz

Mark Story mstory@ewu.edu
Wed, 15 May 1996 16:08:22 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 15 May 1996, Glenn Grafton wrote:

> In our case the problem was due to the fact that the PianoDisc system does
> not allow for the individual note to note control for each key. As the
> playback volume is turned down there will be certain notes that won't play.
>
> I called PianoDisc to see if there was not something I was missing and was
> told that I wasn't.

I don't think this is the whole story.  I believe the PDS does give
control over the expression table, both automatic and manual.  However,
the TFT option (record) must be installed to supply the necessary
feedback for this to work.  This is a big "however" too, since most
installations that I have done were sans TFT.  With the Disklavier, it's
not an option (nor is the additional cost), so it's not an issue.  I'm
not sure about QRS.

I'm just going by what I have read on this - I haven't had the time or
opportunity yet to play with this, so I can't say how effective the PDS
expression table adjustments are.  As soon as I get somewhat caught up
around here (ha!) I will spend some time with this, since I just
installed a PDS-128 unit with TFT in a Kawai UST-7 (so we could roll it
in and out of classrooms) and it is here in my shop.

Mark Story, RPT

mstory@ewu.edu
Eastern Washington University Music Department
Cheney, Washington, USA
http:www.class.ewu.edu/MUSIC/Department/music.html