PDS Use (was Re: Bob O'Ling Hammerz)

Mark Story mstory@ewu.edu
Thu, 16 May 1996 11:46:02 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 16 May 1996, Avery Todd wrote:

> Mark,
>    Two things. I tried your http address as written and couldn't get in. I
> then added the two //'s that are usually there before www and still
> couldn't. Is it my system or is there something wrong with the address?

I don't know.  I think I tried it out myself before I added to my sig,
but I'll check it out.

>    My other question is: to what uses do the classes put the PDS system?
> Could you give us an idea? Maybe it's something our school might be
> interested in.

I haven't turned it loose yet.  I don't expect to until the Fall
term.  That will give the instructors time to check it out and decide if
and how they want to use it.  Other than that, I can only speculate on
how they might use it.  One would be for demonstration in composition and
theory.  Another might be for use in contemporary composition.  Students
have been interested in the possibility of using it to record
accompanyment for instrumentalists so that they can rehearse on their own
without having to schedule time with the accompanist every time.  They
would also be able to change the tempo at will to go over difficult
passages.  Another possiblility would be to loop and replay difficult
passages.

Time will tell.  I'll keep you posted on how it shakes out.  In the
meantime, I too would be interested in hearing if anyone else is using a
PianoDisc or Disklavier in an educational setting, and how.

Mark Story, RPT

mstory@ewu.edu
Eastern Washington University Music Department
Cheney, Washington, USA
http:www.class.ewu.edu/MUSIC/Department/music.html