Damper Problems

jpiesik@arinc.com jpiesik@arinc.com
Fri, 17 May 1996 09:23:22 -0400

    Willem,

    Thank you for your response (and thank you to all other's responses,
    too).  I haven't had a chance to get back to the piano, yet;  however,
    I'll take your word for it that there is minimal clearance for
    additional weight on the underlever (I have a feeling you're right on
    this one).  I will try all the other suggestions first (actually, I
    already tried the majority of them with no success) in hopes of avoiding
    having to put on additional weight.  But . . .

    In a case where more weight is required, and where there is a clearance
    problem such as this, has anyone thought of using "fisherperson's lead?"
    I'm thinking of split shot, or even better, the torpedo style weights
    with rubber inserts.  The rubber insert could be removed and the lead
    weight crimped around the damper wire above the top flange.  Obviously,
    that note is not going to be consistent (especially as far as touch is
    concerned) with the neighboring notes, but it may well take care of this
    problem.

    John Piesik
    San Diego Chapter PTG
    JPIESIK@ARINC.COM

    I also want to add a quick note here.  I know of a few (thankfully) in
    this business who carry "jiffy-leads" to solve "all kinds of action
    problems" (their words, not mine).  I've found them (the jiffy-leads)
    glued all over action parts in some pianos!  I realize that lead weight
    is not a "cure-all" and should probably be avoided (except when used in
    keys after a very careful touch weight analysis).  I just don't want to
    promote this type of "quick-fix" for these types of problems.  And
    remember that lead (and lead dust) can be hazardous to your health!

John:

Several years ago I had the same kind of problem on a similar piano. The name
on the fall board said one thing, but the  manufacturer was the same as the
piano you are dealing with, Samick.

The problem, I finally deduced, was a lack of weight on the damper flange.
Although you corrrectly thought that you might have to deal with that lever,
and it was mentioned to do this as a last resort, the only way to solve your
problem is to use the last resort, and that is add weight to the damper
lever.

Unfortunately, there is a BIGGER PROBLEM. On the piano I was working on,
there was no more room on the lever to add any more weights. I am affraid you
will also find that to be the case on your piano.  Unfortunately, unless any
of the other solutions posted solved the problem, this is a case where the
customer needs to be told. "that's the best THIS piano will do".

Willem Blees  RPT
St. Louis, Mo