Tuning Chart

Newton Hunt nhunt@rci.rutgers.edu
Fri, 17 May 1996 13:15:13 -0400

There is a program that can analyze audio data and display on a computer
screen.

You will need an MSDOS machine with a 486 processor, sound card and a
calibrated microphone (meaning knowing what it's response curve).  It is called
Spectra+.  I was unhappy with the sound of my car's cuido system and with it I
found that there was a 20 Db loss between 1 and 4 K, the top two octaves of the
piano.

Our audio technician has used it to equalize the sound system in our
performance hall.  He said he did more in 10 minutes with Sprecta+ than he was
able to accomplish in eight years without it.

Spectra+ is a RTA, real time analizer, and can be configured to display any
range of the spectrum in any useful time frame and dipslay the reuslts in four
modes.

It is a neat tool.  I have not had the time to try using it for voicing but it
could be used so, I am sure.

      Pioneer Hill Software
      24460 Mason Road
      Paulsbo, WA 98370
      206-697-3472

I also used it to equalize the sound system in the shop.

Have a nice week end.

      Newton
      nhunt@rci.rutgers.edu