Tuning Chart

BobDavis88@aol.com BobDavis88@aol.com
Fri, 17 May 1996 15:01:44 -0400

>Bob Davis said,
>>Finally, it's probably just a matter of time before someone clever develops
>software which will give a visual graph of the frequency and amplitude of
>multiple partials as they change

>Bob, we had a chapter meeting, about 1985, at the New England Digital>
>Corporation when it was still located in White River Junction, VT.  I
believe
>the company has now moved to New Hamshire.  At that time Robinson come up to
>do a class on voicing.  He worked on both the strings and
>the hammers.  At that time New England Digital had a computer system they
>called
>The Synclavier.  Using their equipment was fascinating.  As Chris did
various
>voicing techniques they were able to print out the results of his efforts.
>This they could do both graphically and in spreadsheet form.
>        The graph, using an XYZ coordinate system was able to graph the
>multiple
> harmonics produced by any note and show it in elapsed time.  They were able
>to sample and analyze quite a few partials for differing
>amounts of time.

>     Somewhere in my stacks I have some of the original graphs and
>spreadsheets that were produced that day.  If you would like to see them, I
>shall try to locate them and send you some copies.
>     My guess is that someone else will also jump on this thread and tell us
>that there is a program that already does this for home computers too.
>
>     Our best to you and Marcia.  Emily and I will look for you in Dearborn!
>Ed Hilbert, RPT

Well, see, I knew someone would do this eventually - I just didn't know I was
11 years behind. I see that Newton has also replied with a Real-time Analyzer
program for the PC called Spectra+, as you predicted. I will follow up on
that lead, I think; no need to mess up your neatly organized files by trying
to find something. Thanks for your reply!
Bob Davis