Schimmel Hammer Strike Point

PIANOBIZ@aol.com PIANOBIZ@aol.com
Fri, 17 May 1996 16:46:29 -0400

Greetings
I have a recently acquired customer who explained to me right up front, he
has a long history of complaining about the voicing on his Schimmel 6' grand
piano. Over the phone I went through the usual preliminary data collection:
 piano purchased brand new nine years ago, serviced by the dealer most of its
life, switched to another technician, not happy, then I was recommended and
now I'm getting a chance.

I arranged to begin by tuning the piano and inspecting the hammers on my
initial visit.  When I pulled the action I noticed right away that the
contact point of the strings on the hammers was behind (toward the
backchecks) top dead center by 1/8 to 1/4". Wierd! In effect the hammer was
over traveling, beyond 90 degrees, on its way to the string and slightly
blocking on the string with each blow (all 88 hammers involved).

Having never encountered such a misplaced strike point, I began inquiring
around.  Has anyone else had a similar experience with Schimmel or any other
brand--right from the factory?  I wondered if this was: 1. a production
design  2. caused by excessive wear  (not likely as I would have seen this
phenomena commonly on all older pianos before) or 3. a production
error--shank too short, bore not correct.

Schimmel warranty representative Chip Wise, has initially at least, refused
to do anything for the customer about the problem. I am thinking about going
over his head. The dealer's tech, who has in the past attempted several times
to voice this piano to the customer's satisfaction (unable), admits that the
hammer is not striking in the proper place
 Wouldn't others agree that this is an aberration and a likely cause for a
poor voice? I think it is obvious but I guess I am looking for some support
in that opinion.
Sincerely,
David Sanderson
Pianobiz@aol.com