Dave Swartz, RPT dms2000@PioneerPlanet.infi.net
Sat, 18 May 1996 14:54:09 -0400 (EDT)

At 10:39 AM 5/18/96 -0600, you wrote:
>Some time ago, one of my rental pianos came back from a home where it got
>a heavy dose of tobacco smoke.  I was wondering how to get the smoke out.
> About the same time, my Grandmother bought a car that had the same
>problem.  The dealer told her to put dryer sheets inside for a few
>weeks. It worked.  I tried it in my rental piano.  It worked.  I have
>since used this method several times and so far it hasn't failed me.
>
>Ron Shiflet, RPT
>
>Ron & others:

        There are several processing in which to achieve sucessful smoke
removal.  Allow me to point out 3 vital processes and then work from there:

First:  Where there is odor, there is residue.

        The most important feature of sucessful smoke removal is recognizing
the types of residues.  Dust, dirt, humidity, etc attribute to "holding the
malodors" in tact.

Second:  Identify the malador type.

        There are 3 types of smoke residue. Natural, protein, and synthetic.
Tobacco residue is a combination of all 3.  The additives placed in
cigarrettes contain several chemicals.  Coupled with the burnt paper makes
for an interesting combination of residue.

Third:  Thourough cleaning and detoxification results in sucessful results.

        Water is by far the finest cleaning agent on Earth.  The proper use
of water will promote expedient residue removal.  By adding a surfactant to
your water the water becomes wetter, making the solution even more
effective.  The suggestion here is not to attempt to clean the piano with
water only but to provide an understanding where to start.

        Several products we call odor counteractants are available that
serve as surfactants and residue/odor removal formulas.  The trick to the
procedure is to know which products, how much, and where to apply the given
areas of the piano.  Steel, felts (lots of types BTW) woods, etc. have all
been recipients of the maladors.  For total smoke removal, the piano must be
cleaned to the fullest.

        If you would like, e-mail me directly letting me know where in the
nation you reside.  I will then be in the position to direct you to a local
company that you may purchase specific product for the processes.  If there
is not such a company close by, I can possibly send you these products.

        I am working on an article for the Journal covering the problems of
malodors as well as rodent damage for all interested techs.  I hope you all
find this useful information.

Best of Luck